Monday, June 29, 2009

Crossing the Amazon in Flip Flops

I've never been anywhere where a street existed that was impossible to cross. I've seen a lot too. But, literally, the street was impossible to cross. There was not a single break in the traffic. Not for one second. I guess that's what happens when there are only 5 stop lights in a city with 2.2 million people. Little did I know that crossing the street from my apartment to the office was going to be like trying to wade across the Amazon, piranhas and all. I did have that experience for the first time today, however.


All I wanted to do was meet the building administrator guy so I could get the keys to my apartment. Of course, it doesn't help that I have to go two blocks too far, either way, to find a cross walk. I'm not sure why I bothered, though. Nobody stops for people in the crosswalks. You're just as safe making a run for it without one than with one. I did finally make it across to meet Oscar, the building administrator, however. I saw my life flash before my eyes, though.

Today was my first day in the office here in Panama and, as always, that comes with several realizations. Some, of course are very good. Some are bad. But, that's life, right?

I really enjoyed arriving to the office this morning and seeing that there STILL is no furniture. I mean, they've known that the office was going to be in Panama for, like, a year and a half yet amazingly there's no furniture! Remember when you were reading the previous blog where I commented on the "communal" office and its inconveniences? Well, take those, multiply them by two million and that's what it's like right now. There are 30 of us crammed around three tables with cables and phones and computers and bags and feet and legs all strung everywhere. It's very enjoyable.

I did really like the temperature of the office when I arrived. They've got the air cranked. I love it. And, frankly, it's necessary. After the five minute walk to my apartment this afternoon, I was drenched from head to foot...and that was only five minutes! I'm so happy the Panamanians believe in air conditioning, unlike many of their South American counterparts.

There's really good, free coffee too. That's very inviting. Whatever they didn't spend on furniture, they must have spent on the coffee maker because it's pretty swanky!

There are several fast food restaurants close for lunch. The mall is also close and it has some great stuff to eat. Don't laugh at me now, either, while you're thinking about the "great stuff to eat" at the malls in the US. You can actually get a good meal that they fix fresh (ie: grilled chicken breast). That'll work. It's not within walking distance, but it's a very short drive.

I think the best feature of all is the ice cream stand that's on the corner. It has great ice cream! It's perfect for an afternoon break. So, maybe I'll gain 700 lbs., but who cares? I'll be happy!

And thus went my first day at the office. All in all, it wasn't a whole lot different than I expected, which is a good thing. Now begins the adventure of turning on the electricity, getting my furniture out of customs (It has arrived. It just has to clear customs.), and getting the cable/internet turned on.

Peace out.


2 comments:

  1. So how is the coffee? Do they brew it super-stout?

    -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your stuff is at least in Panama. I hope it clears customs soon!

    ReplyDelete